Getting into the routine of caring for your baby can be challenging. Making sure your little munchkin is fed, warm, and clean is imperative, as is creating your own sleep patterns around your newborn. As a parent, I’m sure you want all that’s best for your baby’s health, but have you thought about what you’re putting on your baby’s skin?
Your baby’s skin is delicate and very responsive to the ingredients contained in regular powders, lotions or ointments. That is because your baby’s immune system is just starting to develop and the harmful chemicals that may be found in artificial baby skincare products can build up on your baby’s skin and disrupt the natural hormones in his/her body. In the long run, this could cause growth and reproductive problems and even disrupt normal endocrine functioning. With that said, it is of vital importance to make sure you use only natural baby products on your little munchkin’s delicate skin.
One of the most important benefits is that natural baby products don’t contain any hazardous additives that are generally found in most regular baby products. Pesticides, antibiotics, additives, hormones, chemicals, man-made ingredients… none of these nasties will come in contact with your little bub’s skin.
No Skin Rashes
Natural and organic baby products such as lotions, body washes, soaps, shampoos, etc., are skin-friendly. Furthermore, a lot of organic skincare products are made using essential oils, which are 100% safe to use. Baby essential oils have many uses – from treating burns and soothing skin to alleviating stress and relaxing the mind. On toddlers, certain essential oils can also be used to help encourage sleep, calm anxiety, and even relieve symptoms of colic. But before you apply essential oils to your baby’s skin, make sure you understand the proper dilution ratios and application methods.
Safe to Swallow
Babies tend to put things in their mouth and that is inevitable. With organic baby products, you can rest assured your little one will be fine if they accidentally swallowed a bit of the content. For instance, you can find a number of toothpaste options that are safe to swallow and don’t contain fluoride, which can pose a risk for poisoning. Furthermore, organic toothpaste typically doesn’t contain any artificial colours or preservatives which are known to be harmful.
Here are some tips to help you find the best natural products for your little one.
- Make sure you read the ingredient list carefully and ensure that any claims of “natural” and “organic” are not just marketing ploys.
- Certification labels are great tools to indicate if the product has met strict standards. In Australia, there are some organic certification companies that have been approved by the Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service. Keep in mind that some international products with organic certification have also been through a strict process of approval within their country, so do your research.
- In case of doubt, contact the company directly for clarification on their ingredients. Companies that meet organic/natural products are very happy to share what they do. Companies that don’t, on the other hand, will dismiss you or make generic statements that don’t clarify their position on natural ingredients.
- Make sure the product is formulated for babies. Shampoos, soaps and lotions made for babies are much milder than regular products. It’s advisable that you give preference for these mild and fragrance-free products as they will keep your baby’s skin soft, healthy and free from infections.
- Talk to your pediatrician before buying products for your child. They are sure to have the latest updates and news regarding the best products for the delicate baby skin.
Keeping a careful eye on your baby’s skin for any changes can alert you to a potential problem. This is especially helpful when trying a new baby product or detergent for clothes. If you notice any rashes, dryness or another issue, consult with your pediatrician. They will help you find the source of the problem and an effective remedy.