Cruising is a fun and exciting way to explore your surroundings while getting a workout in. With their wide decks and soft wheels, these boards are designed for stability and comfort, making them an ideal choice for riders of all skill levels. However, mastering the art of cruising takes time and practice, and even experienced riders often benefit from tips and techniques to improve their skills.
Read on to learn the best ways to get better at riding cruiser skateboards and make the most of the activity. From choosing the right board to perfecting your balance, I’ll cover everything you need to know to enjoy smooth sailing. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned rider, this post will provide valuable insights and guidance to help you take your skills to the next level!
Pick the Right Board
When it comes to choosing the right board, it’s important to pick a comfortable and functional one to ensure a great riding experience. It should have a deck that’s wide enough to provide stability and balance, yet not too long or heavy to be cumbersome. The trucks should be responsive, allowing for easy turning and manoeuvring, while the wheels should be soft and grippy to provide a smooth ride over rough terrain.
If you’re looking for a high-quality board, browse through the wide range of cruiser skateboards online stores provide that are both stylish and functional. Whether you’re looking for a classic, retro design or something more modern and funkier, they have a product that will suit your personal style. In addition to cruisers, specialised shops and retailers also offer a range of parts and accessories for you to customise and upgrade your ride.
From high-performance trucks and wheels to grip tape and bearings, they have everything you need to get the most out of your riding experience. Another benefit is if your chosen shop also has knowledgeable staff that can help you choose the right products for your needs. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, they can provide you with expert advice and guidance to help you get the most out of your purchase.
If you want to improve your skills, the key is to practice on a regular basis. Just like with any skill, the more you do it, the better you will become. When it comes to riding a skate cruiser, there are a few things you can do to improve your technique:
- First, make sure you have the proper ride that’s the right size and shape for you. This will help you feel more comfortable and confident while riding;
- Next, start off by practicing on a flat, smooth surface. Focus on your posture and balance, keeping your weight centred over the board. Try to maintain a steady, fluid motion as you ride;
- As you become more comfortable, you can start to experiment with different techniques, such as carving or pumping. These can help you build speed and momentum, making your rides more fun and exciting.
Remember Balance is Key
Maintaining balance on a cruiser board is essential to being able to ride it effectively. To keep your balance, you need to have a solid stance and be mindful of your body position.
So, what’s the proper stance on a cruiser? Here are some tips to help you maintain a proper stance:
- Start with a wide stance: When riding, you want to have a wide and stable stance. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and position them at a slight angle, with your front foot pointing forward and your back foot pointing slightly towards the side;
- Keep Your Knees Bent: Keep your knees slightly bent to help absorb any shocks or bumps in the road. This will also help you maintain a lower centre of gravity, which will help you keep your balance;
- Keep Your Arms Out: Use your arms to help you balance. Keep them out to the sides or in front of you, depending on what feels most comfortable. They will act as counterweights and help you maintain your balance as you ride;
- Look Ahead: Always look ahead, rather than down at your feet or at the board. This will help you maintain your balance and anticipate any obstacles or changes in the terrain.
Wear Protective Gear
A lot of stores that offer cruiser skateboards online also sell protective gear. Safety is one of the most important things to keep in mind if you want to improve your skills. Wearing protective gear not only helps keep you safe but also gives you the confidence to try new things and push yourself outside of your comfort zone.
When it comes to protective equipment, there are a few things you should consider. The most important piece of gear is the helmet, as it protects your head in the event of a fall or collision. It’s important to choose a helmet that fits properly and is certified for use in action sports. Another type of useful protective equipment is pads. Knee pads and elbow pads protect these vulnerable areas of your body from scrapes, bruises, and other injuries.
Learn from Others
There are many experienced riders out there who can offer tips and advice to help you take your riding to the next level. One way to learn from others is to watch videos of experienced riders online. This will give you an idea of what’s possible on a cruiser board and inspire you to try new things. You can also look for tutorials or instructional videos that help you improve specific aspects of your riding technique.
Another way to learn is to ride with more experienced riders. This is a great way to get feedback on your technique and receive tips on how to improve. Plus, riding with others is a lot of fun and can help you stay motivated to keep practicing!